Household Hazardous Waste

Improper and illegal disposal can contaminate our drinking water, impede waste water treatment plants, pollute local waterways and endanger workers. It can also lead to penalties and fines.

What Is Hazardous Waste?

  • Polishes and cleaners, Oven cleaners, Drain openers, Lighter fluids, Unwanted medications (no Controlled Substances - contact your pharmacist if you are unsure if your medication is a Controlled Substance), Syringes, Cosmetics,
  • Fluorescent bulbs/tubes, Rechargeable or alkaline batteries, Mercury containing items (thermometers, thermostats, etc.)
  • Fungicides, Insecticides, Herbicides, Pool chemicals
  • Latex and oil-based paints, Paint thinner and stripper, Wood preservatives, Grease and rust solvents, Wood and metal cleaners, Glues and cements, Photo chemicals, Antifreeze, Transmission fluids, Gasoline and fuel additives, Carburetor cleaners, Batteries, Used oil and oil filters

Permanent Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facility

The permanent HHW collection facility is located at 889-A Devlin Road, off Highway 29 in south Napa. It is for safe and legal disposal of unusable hazardous products. Please remember to pack products carefully so they won't mix or spill and transport them in the trunk if possible. The facility accepts all types of household hazardous waste except: Radioactives, Explosives and Ammunition.

  • Households: No appointment required; no fee.
  • Businesses: Appointment only; fee for service.

Open every Friday and Saturday: 9 am to 4 pm.

For highway safety, there is a limit of 15 gallons or 125 pounds of household hazardous waste per trip.

For more information call 800-984-9661 or 707-259-8608. Or visit the Napa Recycling website.

Upper Valley Temporary Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events

Upper Valley Waste Management Agency (UVA) sponsors twice-yearly household hazardous waste collection events. Typically events are held in April in St. Helena and in October in Calistoga. These events are held on one day, with set hours, and residents can drop off their household hazardous wastes at no charge. To request information on these events, contact UVA at 707-259-8330.

Hazardous Waste Disposal for Businesses

Businesses that generate less than 220 pounds or 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month can dispose of their waste at the Permanent HHW Collection Facility. Appointments are required and there is a fee for this service. For appointments and information: 800-984-9661. Protect your business and employees by disposing of unwanted, unused, and out-of-date hazardous wastes properly.

Businesses that generate hazardous waste are required to obtain a Hazardous Waste Generator Permit. Call the Napa County Environmental Health Division at 253-4471 or visit the Napa County website for information.

What Goes in What Bin?

It's easy as 1-2-3 to make sure you are putting the right item in the right bin! See What Goes in What Bin (PDF).

Single Stream Recycling

Clean-Up Day for Bulky Items

Once a year, usually during the first part of June, the Yountville community holds a clean-up day. This is an opportunity to get rid of your bulky items! For other times of the year, please contact Upper Valley Disposal and Recycling for a price quote on picking up your bulky material by calling 707-963-7988.

Disposing of E-Waste

E-Waste includes not just computer monitors and televisions that contain (CRT) lead and cannot be landfilled, but also products such as cell phones, microwaves, DVD players, radios and more. The Clover Flat Landfill in Calistoga, and the Transfer Station on Devlin Road in American Canyon have free year round drop off for all electronic waste.

Find More Information on Recycling

Napa County Recycling Guide (PDF) and Upper Valley Disposal and Recycling Service (UVDS) are great resources for more information about recycling.